(Curcuma xanthorrhiza Roxb.) Special Extract / Blend
Known as Java turmeric or Javanese turmeric due to its origins in Indonesia, C. xanthorrhiza is a ginger-like plant of the family Zingiberaceae, which grows widely in Southeast Asia. Java turmeric is related to the better known Indian turmeric and there is a large overlap in traditional and modern herbal uses, including anti-inflammatory, anti-carcinogenic, wound healing effects and serum cholesterol-lowering effects. A number of constituents differ between Java and ordinary turmeric. Xanthorrhizol, in particular, is a sesquiterpenoid compound unique to Java turmeric. Among its known benefits are hepatoprotective actions. An extract of the whole rhizome, likewise, has been shown to support liver health.
Another area that has been under-explored with Java turmeric, but in which this plant may exhibit special benefits is immune function. For instance, in one animal experiment, chronic ingestion of an extract increased the proportion of splenic T cells. An in vitro trial examining mechanisms of action for immune response found that a polysaccharide in Java turmeric stimulates the immune functions of macrophages.
Among the differences between Java turmeric and Indian (domestic) turmeric are the following:
- Composition of the dried rhizome –– curcuminoids (1.6-2.2%), xanthorrhizol (1.48-1.63%)
- three nonphenolic diarylhepatanoids support normal inflammation response
- accelerates the metabolism of the lipids from extra-hepatic tissues to the liver, thus increasing the excretion of cholesterol via the bile
- boosts the secretion of bile acids (and bilirubin) and improves the bile composition leading to the cholesterol in bile bring more likely to remain in solution
- unlike bisdesmethoxycurcumin, does not inhibit bile flow
- can be used in dental and oral care
CUR X-ZOL® C15™ is an 80:1 extract of Curcuma xanthorrhiza Roxb. With a Curcuminoid content NLT 15% and an oil content of NLT 3%.
CUR X-ZOL® (Curcuma xanthorrhiza Roxb.) Special Blend is a 9:1 blend of C15™ and extra high quality Curcuma xanthorrhiza Roxb. designed to deliver a high guaranteed amount of xanthorrhizol in conjunction with the immune-boosting and other properties of the raw herb.
- Oon SF, Nallappan M, Tee TT, Shohaimi S, Kassim NK, Sa’ariwijaya MS, Cheah YH. Xanthorrhizol: a review of its pharmacological activities and anticancer properties. Cancer Cell Int. 2015 Oct 21;15:100.
- Devaraj S, Ismail S, Ramanathan S, Marimuthu S, Fei YM. Evaluation of the hepatoprotective activity of standardized ethanolic extract of Curcuma xanthorrhiza Roxb. Journal of Medicinal Plants Research 2010 December;4(23):2512-2517.
- Yasni S, Yoshiie K, Oda H, Sugano M, Imaizumi K. Dietary Curcuma xanthorrhiza Roxb. increases mitogenic responses of splenic lymphocytes in rats, and alters populations of the lymphocytes in mice. J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 1993 Aug;39(4):345-54.
- Kim AJ, Kim YO, Shim JS, Hwang JK. Immunostimulating activity of crude polysaccharide extract isolated from Curcuma xanthorrhiza Roxb.
- Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2007 Jun;71(6):1428-38.